In this article, we’ll review the Medela Sonata Vs. Spectra S1 and see which one comes out on top!
Nothing in this worth can beat the newest experience of becoming a mother, but all mothers know the suffering of breastfeeding.
If you are a soon-to-be mommy and looking for a breast pump, the internet has several options.
It can be quite intimidating amongst all the possibilities and not knowing which one will be the best.
In this respect, we would like to mention the very popular brand Medela.
The breast pumps by Medela have been loved by mothers all over.
In this article, we will review the two most popular models – Medela Sonata and Medela Spectra S1.
What Is Medela Sonata?
- HOSPITAL STRENGTH: The Sonata’s powerful vacuum with responsive technology provides a comfortable, high capacity suction that naturally adjusts for more consistent pumping experience
- PORTABLE & EASY TO USE: The rechargeable battery makes it ultra convenient to pump on the go with 1.5 hours of battery life and weighs less than 2.5 lbs with built-in handle makes it easy to transport
- CLOSED SYSTEM: Never worry about milk back flow because the Sonata kit with overflow protection prevents breast milk from backing up into your tubing or pump with overflow protection
- QUIET & DISCREET: Sonata has a whisper quiet motor so you can pump anytime, anywhere day or night
- MORE MILK & COMFORT: Soft-rim and oval shape of PersonalFit Flex breast shields provides a better fit, proven to remove 11.8% more milk faster
The Medela Sonata In Style Advanced (PISA) Double Electric Breast Pump is one of the best breast pumps available.
It is a double electric pump that can pump breast milk from both sides simultaneously.
It is a very compact design, weighing just 2.2 pounds.
It has a slot for rechargeable batteries, which can be very handy when you are out and need to pump some milk urgently.
The pack comes with all the necessary equipment- a sonata pump with rechargeable batteries, two breast shield connectors, 4-5oz bottles with lead, and two bottle stands.
If connected to a direct power source, then 400-200mA is the input power for the pump.
The breast shields by PersonalFit Flex yields 11.8% more milk than pumping the usual way.
When to use Medela Sonata?
There is no fixed time to use the Medela Sonata.
However, if you are a busy working mother, you can pump some milk and keep it in storage and leave for work.
A unique characteristic is you can map the breast pumping activity on the MyMedela Application, and you will have a track of all the breast pumping data.
To clean it, all you have to do is place the used kit into hot boiling water.
Being a popular and reliable brand, most hospitals and caregiving centers opt for this device.
What Is Medela?
- Natural Nursing Technology: Our Spectra S1 electric breast pump features technology that allows comfortable suction levels that mimic the experience of natural breastfeeding as closely as possible
- Perfect for Travel: The Spectra S1 is portable and rechargeable, making it ideal for an on-the-go mom, with the back compartment that fits a Spectra bottle
- Single or Double Pumping: Can be used as a single electric breast pump or a double electric breast pump and for best results, authentic Spectra Baby accessories are recommended
- Hygienic: Spectra backflow protector creates a complete physical barrier between your milk and the pump motor, ensuring that your milk is protected while also being easy to clean and maintain
- Made For Moms, By Moms: We`ve committed our lives to providing the best breast pumps, accessories, education, and customer care that we can, supporting every mother with the beauty of parenthood
The Medela Spectra S1 is an award-winning product.
This pump uses Spectra’s natural technology in nursing.
It means that the pump is designed to make it feel like a real baby nursing, and that also means that the milk will be pumped out slowly, just as much a baby can drink.
You will have to charge the device for 8 hours in the beginning, and from then on, 4 hours of charging is adequate.
This setup also has a dual pumping facility by incorporating a set of Spectra Tubing.
The compact set up comes with 24mm and 28 mm breast flanges, backflow protectors, duckbill valves, large storage bottles, and a power adapter.
When to Medela Spectra S1?
If your child is nursing, you sure need to carry the entire set-up whenever you step out of the house.
In times of need, when there are no other alternatives available, you can use Medela Spectra S1 to pump some milk for your toddler.
Since these devices are portable, there cannot be a fixed time allocated to use it.
This compact system weighs 3.3 pounds, and the material is BPA free.
There is a spectra backflow preventer to maintain hygiene, which created a physical barrier between the milk pumped and the pump motor, thus ensuring the milk is not contaminated.
Main Differences Between Medela Sonata and Medela Spectra S1
- Medela Sonata’s pump makes slight noises while pumping, whereas Spectra S1 is silent.
- Spectra S1 is slightly lighter in weight than Medela Sonata.
- The Spectra S1 has an inbuilt light system and LCD panel, whereas the Medela Sonata data can be synced in MyMedela App.
- The Medela Sonata is an Open system, but Spectra S1 is a closed system and backflow protection.
Conclusion & Recommendation
To summarize, the Medela Sonata has better features and characteristics than Spectra 1.
However, the price of the latter is lesser.
When it comes to comfort and quality, Sonata has done a great job, but when it comes to compact structure and portability, Spectra 1 is better.
Therefore, both the devices are worth considering.
But if we are to choose, considering overall features, then the vote will be for Medela Sonata, as it has better functionality and control.
Video of Medela Sonata
Video of Medela Spectra 1